Monday 15 April 2013

Design Strategy; work placement at Room For Design.

During the easter break I did a three day work placement at Room For Design in Northallerton in order for me to gain experience within the industry and see the day to day runnings of a Graphic Design studio. When I emailed Joe about the work placement I sent him a few examples of my work and off the back of that they said they had the perfect brief for me to have a go at due to my design interests. This brief involved designing sheep themed wedding stationery and I got stuck into it straight away. I was especially pleased because I seem to be drawing animals a lot at the moment so I knew I'd enjoy it. There's a few examples above of some development for the stationery and you can also see the sheep vectors I designed on illustrator. Whilst I was on my placement I also got to work on some ammendments that clients had sent through for other briefs. This was really good because I got to see the sort of work Room For Design have been doing and there was a range of different outcomes. Whilst doing this I learnt how they record the ammendments you make too and this was useful because it's something I'm unfamiliar with. Overall, whilst on my placement I definitely got a lot out of it because I'd never been in a proper working studio environment before, I got to ask questions about design and the industry in general and the people were really nice! Before doing this placement I was quite nervous about the thought of going into a job because I had no idea what to expect but now I feel so much more relaxed about it and you could even say quite excited! I know every studio will be different and I'm never going to love them all but the atmosphere at Room For Design was really inviting and I felt comfortable straight away. I think this is down to the fact that it's a small working environment and this is something I've always preferred. If I get the opportunity to go back to Room For Design I definitely will. After being so nervous I was dissapointed with how fast my placement went, I didn't want to leave! Success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment