Sunday 28 April 2013

Design Strategy: evaluation.

I thought I'd write a quick evaluation after reflecting on my ppd presentation I gave the other day. I've always been the sort of person that doesn't have a set life plan and likes to take each day as it comes. To this end, up until a couple of months or so ago, I had no clue where I was going next after university and it scared me that this didn't seem to concern me at all. I feel the design strategy has really given me that kick up the bum that I needed once I started doing my research properly as well as my experience on my work placement. I've had the puzzle pieces all along, they were kind of just in a muddle so nothing in terms of my career aspirations was making sense in my head. I have specific design interests and I'm aware of the type of atmosphere/place I prefer so these two things alone direct me to certain jobs and design studios. Once I started applying this I've realised I'd like to work within the north and in a small graphic design studio, hopefully being able to utilise my image making skills. Since finally figuring myself out I've actually found a couple of jobs where I think, yeah I'd like to do that, finally! I feel the PPD modules throughout my whole time at uni have helped me gain confidence with the fact they have encouraged me to talk to people and now I have some great contacts. Everyone always says it's not what you know, but who you know and I'm really beginning to believe this, especially after seeing opportunities people have gained in their presentations. This year I wanted to figure out who I am as a designer and where I fit in and I think I've definitely achieved that goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment