Monday 3 October 2011

Enterprise & innovation; Who am I - Who are they?

Client groups that use graphic design; 
Retail - supermarkets/clothes/shoes 
Education
Confectionary
Publishing 
Charities
Music industry
Medical
Leasuire 
Art & design
Technology






Music industry...


What skills/interests do you have and how do they relate to the needs of your client group? 
I've always had a big interest in music and can't go anywhere without my ipod, its a bit like an extra limb. This relates to the music industry because obviously they are the client group that produce the music I listen to. In terms of skills I have the ability to produce most promotional material (eg. leaflets, posters and flyers) that the music industry use to promote the bands, singers and record labels. I also have an understanding of the image that links with the different genres of music and a knowledge of whats already out there which are both key things when creating the promotional material so there is direction and no chance of copying what has already been done. With young people being a massive consumer of the music industry I also have an understanding of what captures the audiences attention. 


What skills are needed and what skills do you want to develop?
Illustration is quite popular within the music industry in terms of album cover and poster design to create something unique that speaks to the audience. I'd like to develop my illustration skills because at the moment they aren't brilliant and this can be quite easily done with practice in any spare time I find I have.  
Photography skills are something that will be prove quite useful to this client group because bands and singers often want themselves on the front of their album cover. I have an AS level in photography but these are very basic skills so i'd like to develop these to a higher standard in which i'm able to do things like select suitable lenses, experiment with the lighting and edit photographs to a high standard. Other skills needed are an understanding of the relationship between type and image, layout, software and print. I have a developing understanding of all these things at the moment as I spend more time studying so these are going to improve over time. 


What are your professional /creative aims and how do they relate to the needs of the client group?
I aim to do something professionally that I enjoy doing, that will challenge me, that will lead me through new experiences wether it be travelling the world or something more simple and i'd like to create design work that can be enjoyed by other people. I have many interests throughout the graphic design world and i'm still unsure as to the exact path I want to take but I know that these interests are very likely to help me make a decision. Within the music industry everything that is created in terms of both promotional material and album covers is there to be enjoyed and to capture the attention of the audience so this links to the sort of designer I'd like to be. 




No comments:

Post a Comment