Saturday 29 October 2011

Enterprise & innovation; How will I promote myself?

To work in the kind of industry I am interested in I need to search for my clients and prove to them why I would be a good designer to work with. I would need to market myself at industry events by handing out a well executed business card that will make myself memorable. Gaining a range of contacts will be useful because one may recommend myself to another and this is one way to locate work. 


I need to promote myself as being knowledgable in the music industry. If I search for smaller clients myself and produce some design work for bands that may eventually be up and coming, this gets my foot in the door and will be a good example for high end clients of the work I can produce. Producing sample work will also mean I have something to show clients. I may need to focus on clients which suit my particular design style or be willing to expand my skills to work for a range of clients. 


Although I have never had a great interest in living in the city I need to promote myself as being a designer that will be willing to follow the work in an effort to create a positive client/designer relationship. You are likely to gain more by willing to go that little bit further for your client. 


I need to be willing to compromise and take critical feedback because this will prove to the client I am going to be a good designer to work with and they will get exactly what they want. I need to be able to keep everything on a professional level and constantly communicate to find out if the direction I am taking suits what they are looking for. Communication will come in the form of emails, phone calls and most importantly meetings - the meetings are a key part of this idea of me being able to go a little bit further and travel to the client. 


I can promote myself by creating design work for one band who may then recommend me to another and then I could become recognised through things such as the internet. It is however, going to be important that I continue to create sample work that can be posted to websites such as behance because I need to push myself out where I can be seen. 


Summary; 
Promoting myself in this particular industry would be quite difficult because more often than not you need to seek the client rather than the other way round. If I want to be recognised in this particular industry I need to create work that I can post on design websites if the clients are searching for people to create their next album for example. Creating a network of people within this industry will help me gain more work because one client may recommend me to another and with expansion of this network i'm more likely to be busy. I essentially need to be willing to approach clients and have the confidence to do so, rejection is never a bad thing because if you leave someone with a business card, they may consider you at a later date and they may even look into the sort of work you do. One of the most important aspects is the fact I need to be willing to take to a new design style to meet the needs of the client, this doesn't mean to say my current style will be pushed to one style, I just may need to tweak it a little bit. This particular industry is quite competitive so I need to be completely aware of what is already out there and promote myself in a way that seems unique and fresh, so that consumers will have never seen such works. Creating a website may get my foot in the door too because people tend to communicate a lot via the internet in the modern age and it means my work can be accessible to anyone, anywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment