Monday 25 February 2013

Design Presence; portfolio surgery two.

I had my second portfolio surgery with Joe Gilmore and it was great to recieve a second round of feedback on my work because obviously everyone interprets things differently so some of the points he made weren't brought up the first time round but were really relevent to improve it. 
Joe suggested that I utilise a double page spread layout so that each board appears landscape because it seemed as though I was holding back a little bit as some of my images were quite small and I left quite large boarders around each of my boards. He also said that when someone is viewing it, it will make it a lot easier to see each induvidual projects because at the moment I have a single A3 boards per project and he said when you're looking the top project with the portfolio landscape, you have to lean over so you don't necessarily take it all in properly and it's a bit difficult to view. 
I asked Joe about his opinion in including branding on each seperate page. He said personally he's not a fan of this but in some ways it works because my logo is quite simple and at least whoever is viewing my portfolio will remember my name. 
I need to have a space between 'The brief' and 'Target audience' to make this easier to read because at the moment it's quite squashed up. After thinking about this though I've decided I might take the target audience out altogether because although it's relevent it's not massively significant as the focus will be on the actual images. 
Joe suggested that I create a grid for my double page spreads so that every single board is kept uniform because he said a lot of people will wonder why things aren't uniform and it says a lot about you as a designer. You can be quite playful with this grid but it's just there to guide. 
With one of my briefs Joe suggested having the film titles under each typeface because someone may spend more time trying to work this out than taking in the actual work. 
Joe said it'd be great to see the typeface and actual character designs from the wind in the willows brief because although you can see it in the photographs, it's not completely clear and this aspect was a substaintial part of the brief. 
Going back to layout, I need to make sure all the spaces between images are the same on all the spreads. 
With the black and white print brief, it's better not to have one square photo and all the rest rectangle because this doesn't particularly fit in. 

These changes make a lot of sense now that someone has gone through and pointed them out to me so I'm going to take all the advice on board and re-jig my portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment