Tuesday 19 February 2013

Design Presence; portfolio surgery one.

I had my first portfolio surgery with Ben Haworth and found the feedback I was given was very constructive and useful in a way which helps me understand how well my current portfolio communicates to people viewing it for the first time and whether there is anything that I need to reconsider. I noted down some of the key points that were discussed. 

- Really push the illustration/image work, show that I am capable of a range of styles so I can be flexible in a studio environment. 
- The pattern work is successful, how can I utilise this throughout future projects? 
- With The Wind in the Willows brief, reword the brief, it appears more traditional visually rather than reinvented. This style doesn't come across as well as some of my other hand rendered work so consider this with future projects. 
- The illustrative type brief board needs to include the logo design for the company I created. This brief could have taken a more comical approach in order to avoid copyright with the quotes and make it more appealing. The outcomes look a bit clinical but this could easily be improved. The comical aspect would suit the brand more. 
- The black and white brief has brand essence and it's important to understand a brand is not just a logo. This could be the link branding has to my personal practice more so than actual logo design. 
- With illustrative type I could just include the typeface design to showcase this skill as this part of the brief was a strength. 
- Processes should be an after thought as the ideas and concept are most important and what potential employers are interested in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment