Monday 24 September 2012

Studio visit; Room For Design.

20/7/2012.

During the summer break I have visited Room For Design which is a local graphic design studio in my home town of Northallerton. I was initially quite nervous because i'd never visited a studio before so wasn't quite sure what to expect. I realised however, that when I arrived at the studio, all my nerves had been for nothing! I automatically felt really comfortable and was made very welcome by Joe Essex and Paul Banks who were in on the particular day. The studio itself is based in one room, quite small, but very cosy and an appropriate work environment. There were a few other desks possibly indicating that there are usually a few more people in and part of the studio. I had quite an informal chat with Joe and Paul just generally about their backgrounds and how they got to where they are now, this was quite interesting because they've both had very different experiences. The studio is based above the Cornish Gallery and has been there for over 20 years so really it's quite hidden away if you don't know it's there. Joe told me they rely on word of mouth more than anything to gain work so this obviously works quite well for them with being there so long. Whilst I was visting, Paul was working on something for Leeds university so they obviously have well known clients too. The one peice of advice that really stuck in my mind was that gaining experience via placement is really important if I ever have the opportunity. At the end of my visit we discussed the possibility of a work placement and i've been told that if I get in touch I would be welcome to do some work with them or work on some of my own briefs in their studio environment so that's really exciting! I'm definitely going to get back in touch with them soon. 

The overall experience has given me an insight into a working studio environment and made me think more about what i'd like once I graduate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment