Friday 21 December 2012

Task

1. Identify 5 companies/studios you think have a synergy with you, and why.

Room For Design
They are a small studio and working in this kind of environment is something I've started aspiring to because I prefer the comfort factor. They have a substantial client base with some being known to me so this gives them a good reputation. Due to visiting I can comment that the general atmosphere within the studio is automatically inviting and the room they work from appears to have a good creative atmosphere. Due to them being multidisciplinary they under go a range of different projects and I personally like having the opportunity to do different things within my own briefs but with a focus on image. 

Tigerprint
They are everything I love about image based design. Bright, bold, colourful and exciting works seem to come from this studio. Although I'm not familiar with the working environment of Tigerprint, I am aware that they take on freelancers for projects and the area teams are quite large so this would be a good opportunity to meet more like minded people. Tigerprint is restricting in the sense that for me although I love the image side of the company and this element of my own practice, you would be creating artwork the majority of the time and as explained above, I like to mix it up a bit.  

Paperchase
I've always been a huge fan of Paperchase and although they aren't strictly a design company they will have their own in house team. I feel a connection with this company and my own practice due to the style of work that is being produced. Much of the designs are hand rendered or have an element of this to them and I've really got a thing for surface pattern at the moment which links to the fact Paperchase's ranges tend to be made up of surface pattern designs. I connect more with the product side of this company rather than the advertising again due to my love of image based design. 

Paul Windle
This studio create some of my favourite characters so this automatically made me quite fond of them. The team is relatively small so again this is the sort of environment I enjoy because I feel as though you get to know people more. They have both digital and a hand rendered element to their work which is again something that links to my own personal practice. Each team member has a specific skill they are assigned to so this is good in the sense that it creates creative focus so the best can be made of the designers strongest skills. 

Young
For me, Young is a little bit different because it's an illustration and animation studio. Although I have no interest in the animation side of the studio, I was quite drawn to this because it's unique. The illustration maybe isn't quite the same as the sort of things I like to design but I still really like it because it's bright and bold. Both are characteristics I like to interpret into my work too. Really, It was nice just to find a studio that actually has a focus on illustration because although I love talking to illustrators, I don't think freelance is for me. 


2. Top choice and why you think they suit your practice/future practice.
I can't really choose just one because I have two in mind that have both pro's and con's based on my own practice. The first is Room For Design, because they are multi disciplinary this would give me the opportunity to be doing different things all of the time and progressing a range of my skills rather than just one or two. It would also give me the experience in different things that could be noted for future opportunities. The biggest thing however is the fact it's a small and comfortable working environment. My practice is obviously going to be about building relationships and in this sort of environment you are definitely going to be able to do this. My image skills being really strong could also be really relevent because I'd fit in with this skill alone. 
The second is Tigerprint because they do the sort of thing I love all day everyday in the relevent area of the company. Although image making is already a strong skill I'd be able to further improve this and 'perfect' it. Image making is something I really want to stick with throughout my career if I can do well off this and the Tigerprint studio allows this. 


3. Is your choice based on- location, direction of practice, the brand philosophy, the client base?

Both choices take location into consideration because I know I will more than likely be living at home so I look for places that are accessible to me but this is definitely not the most important factor. The direction of practice is also influential for both of them as explained above because of the skills I would be able to utilise and develop.


4. If it's none of the reasons for choosing, what is it specifically?

With Room For Design, there's also the fact that I've met two of the guys from the studio and they are really nice people!


5. When studios are identified, list 8 methods you could utilise to contact them.

PDF portfolio sent via email
My actual portfolio sent by courier to see the real quality
Telephone
Email
Mail out (something creative and unique!)
Skype
Mini PDF of samples to give a feel for my design practice but not give everything away
Letter



No comments:

Post a Comment